State Limits:

Texas requires drivers to carry at minimum the following auto insurance coverages:

  • Bodily Injury Liability: $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident

  • Property Damage Liability: $25,000

  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $2,500 unless you reject this coverage

  • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident unless you reject this coverage

  • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $25,000 and a $250 deductible unless your reject this coverage

While these are the minimum coverages Texas requires you to have, everyone's insurance needs are different.


1.    Towing and labor coverage pays to tow your car if it can’t be driven. It also pays for labor to change a flat tire or jump-start your battery.

2.    Rental reimbursement coverage pays for you to rent a car if yours is stolen or being repaired after an accident. Some policies also pay for taxis or ride-hailing services.


Bundling, Telematics (usage based driving), College Degree, Memberships (see if yours qualifies):

Who’s covered?​

Most policies cover you, your family, and people driving your car with your permission. Ask your agent or read your policy to know who your policy covers and if anyone is excluded from coverage.

What does my policy cover?

Coverages vary by policy and depend on the types of coverages you choose. This table shows some of the things most policies do and don’t cover. Read your policy or talk to your agent to be sure of your exact coverages.


Yes, But Within Limits:

If you get a new car, your current insurance will automatically cover it for about 20 days. The type of coverage depends on whether the car is an additional or replacement car.

  • An additional car gets the same coverage as the car with the most coverage on your policy.

  • A replacement car gets the same coverage as the car it replaces on your policy.

Tell your company about a new car as soon as you can to avoid a lapse in coverage.


Yes and No, Check With Your Agent To Be Sure: 

Rental Cars

Rental agencies offer damage waivers and liability policies. The damage waiver isn’t insurance. It’s an agreement that the rental agency won’t charge you for damage to a car you rent.

You probably don’t need the rental agency’s liability policy. Your own auto policy will usually cover you while you’re driving a rental car for personal use. It probably won’t cover you if you’re driving the rental car for work, however.

Before you rent a car, ask your agent whether you need the rental agency’s liability policy and damage waiver.

Borrowed Cars

If you cause an accident while driving a borrowed car, the car owner’s insurance pays claims. If the owner doesn’t have insurance, or doesn’t have enough to pay for the damages and injuries you caused, your insurance will pay.

If you don’t own a car, but borrow a car often, you can buy a non-owner liability policy that pays for damages and injuries you cause to other people while driving a borrowed car. It doesn’t pay for your injuries or damage to the car you’re driving.

If you borrow a car from a repair shop, your liability insurance will pay for damages to the car. It will also pay for other people’s injuries and damages if you're at fault in an accident. Check your liability limits to make sure they're enough to pay for the damages.


Nationwide Insurance: Melisa Copeland Strickland

Products issued by The Copeland Group Company and Affiliated Companies. Not all of The Copeland Group affiliated companies are mutual companies, and not all of The Copeland Group members are insured by a mutual company. Subject to underwriting guidelines, review and approval. Products and discounts not available to all persons. And no policy is bound until payment is received.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

©2020 by The Copeland Group